Sunday, December 9, 2007

A New Obsession!!


I never cease to be amazed at how many different game mechanics are out there. Each month or so it seems I find something that is new and exciting that I must try. The current ( and older ) slew of "Euro" games and a handful of "Ameritrash" games never lack a thrill in game play. Games that incorporate mechanics that range from mind bending to quite simple. However, not as simple as flicking little wood discs across a wooden circular playing surface! That's pretty basic in my book! Therefore, I would never have expected to stumble across an "Old school" style game that would totally obsess my thoughts and persuade me to open up my wallet WIDE! This game is Crokinole. I'll leave it to the reader to go to BGG and read the reviews. I couldn't explain it good enough and would probably ramble! Haha! Anyhow, I have finally and fortunately found a gem that thousands of others worldwide have already known about. I guess it's better late than never as they say! The game is of Canadian origin and hit "the scene" in the mid to late 1870's!! In fact, 1876 I believe! No joke! It's not that hard to imagine a game that stands the test of time. Look at Chess, Backgammon and Cribbage to name a few. These games, as well as Crokinole, have been bringing family and friends together through many generations. Which brings me to the reason I happened to find this wonderful game. Recently I was finding myself in search of something unique, but a "classic" group game. Something with some history behind it and a beloved favorite. My search lead me to the obvious choices I mentioned above, but I wanted to find something out of the ordinary ( at least for me ). Now Cribbage and Backgammon are not duds at all! I really enjoy both. However, I've never been too keen on Chess. Anyways, Crokinole seemed to be the game that fit the bill. After months of "research" on BGG and reading favorable reviews I had to try it! Therefore, I decided to buy a fairly cheap priced, used board off eBay. I bought a "cheap" one just in case it fell short of my expectations. Needless to say, it has been played A LOT!! From family to friends, young and old, it has been a solid HIT!! I plan to "upgrade" to a new board as soon as I can afford one! Not to bash my "Plain Jane" board, but it lacks the aesthetic value and quality I desire. On that note, one of my friends ( who is usually a VERY hard sell on new and unusual games I purchase ) is already desiring his own board after one night of play! That friend is Mike and trust me, he has been my biggest nay sayer since I first shown him my new interest a while back! Now, I want to show my other friend Ed, what he is missing! He is being very skeptical ( as was I initially and of course, Mike! ). I can pretty much gauge what his likes and dislikes are in games ( since they follow mine as well ) and I'm confident he will be joining Mike and I soon! "Resistance is futile! " Ed!! Hahaha! All in all, I LOVE the game and hope to get an heirloom game that will be treasured for many, many years to come!

4 comments:

Mike David said...

Yes Ed WILL become a believer soon. There is no chance for him. He will fall for this game. Ugh! My flickin finger is itching to play again!!! I don't know if I can wait till next weekend.

Scott said...

Well, you know my number and my schedule ( open...most of the time! ). We could squeeze in some crokinole if need be and if weather permits. I just got back form my aunt's where we played some! I beat her 2 out 3 games. She's not bad and gave me a run for my money! She was knocking out two discs at a time a few times! Of course it was luck on some shots! We know how that goes. Later!

Ed said...

I'm sure I will like it, we will see, , but I got to tell you , I usually suck at games like this.

Scott said...

Now Ed. You can't tell us that you have poor hand eye coordination ( or do you close your eyes too?! Hehe )! Or you don't know how to flick things with your fingers! See ya bro!